We established Cheng Cohen in 2007 with a simple credo that is anything but common: we will provide uncompromising client service and sound, practical legal advice to franchise and distribution clients for a fair and reasonable fee. And we set a single, simple goal: to be the franchise industry’s full service boutique law firm.
Nine years later, in the age of “the selfie,” we thought it an appropriate time for a little self-examination and to see just how are we measuring up.
The US News and World Report’s 2016 listing of the Best Law Firms again ranks Cheng Cohen in Tier 1 Nationwide for Franchising. Cheng Cohen has also been recognized by Chambers & Partners USA as a leader in the Franchising category and the 2012 edition specifically recommended Cheng Cohen for both Client Service (one of only six firms) and Commercial Awareness (one of only four firms). We were one of only two firms recommended in both categories and the only boutique firm so honored in either category. Our attorneys have earned Lawyer of the Year and have been invited to serve in thought-leadership positions on various industry committees and associations. And every one of our partners has been recognized as a Legal Eagle by Franchise Times.
In and of themselves, these kudos wouldn’t mean a hill of beans to us. But when we consider that client and peer feedback are critical components to earn these accolades, we do take great pride in them. Plus, we would be lying if we said it’s not especially gratifying to be recognized for the precise characteristics at the core of our credo. Uncompromising client service. Sound, practical legal advice. For a fair and reasonable fee. That’s our goal; that’s who we are; that’s who we’ll remain no matter how many anniversaries we celebrate.
We credit our success to holding fast to our core values:
- If it’s not already apparent, we are passionate about client service. That means more than a prompt return call and the occasional face-to-face client meeting. It’s intimately understanding our clients; appreciating their unique competitive, regulatory and environmental challenges; anticipating their next hurdle; and being a useful part of our clients’ team every day.
- Some lawyers practice their pristine profession by managing clients at an arm’s length. We embrace our clients, warts and all. We make their problems our own. We exist to solve their problems; to advance their success.
- We measure our success by what gets accomplished, not by what gets chopped. Anyone can tell a client ‘we don’t advise that’ or point out the risks. But we help our clients find innovative ways to get the deal done. We take action, calculated risk and responsibility. We are aggressive and creative; we’re focused on action, productivity and growth. And in case you hadn’t noticed, we like semi-colons and italics.
- We don’t treat people fairly; we treat people well. We are plain-spoken and direct, amongst ourselves, our clients and as we deal with adversaries. We engage and embrace to build solid, lasting relationships that can be leveraged to advance our clients’ interests.
- We are proud of the brands we represent, and we know it is our privilege to be associated with the productivity, creativity, innovation and industry leadership they represent.
We take pride in the law firm we have built. But we find far more gratification in hearing from our clients that we have helped contribute to their achievements and success. Our idea is simple but far from common. Uncompromising client service. Sound, practical legal advice. For a fair and reasonable fee. We hope to have an opportunity to show you what our simple idea can deliver.